Debating the Republican Tax Plan


Mr. Speaker:

My colleagues have used words like "atrocious" and "unconscionable" to describe what they see as a legislative attack on the American People by members of Congress. Others have called this tax plan "essential" and "stimulating," representing the last barrier before happiness and progress comes back to American. May I offer a different perspective:

This bill is rushed.

Mr. Speaker, I was elected to support any reasonable bill that works to grow the economy, and does so without putting more pressure on the lives of the most vulnerable Americans.

This bill doesn't seem to meet that standard.

I am in favor of any plan that rewards good behavior of those who are wealthy, as long as we recognize that "good" means making your employees stronger and more successful.

This bill doesn't seem to do that.

I am in favor of any bill that supports the interests of the United States, by which I mean it makes the people of our nation better off. I'm not referring to the $664 per household or by $300Billion "predicted to be saved", or any other number trick--static vs. dynamic growth--you want to use. By better off, I mean that the people are happier, more able to care for themselves and their families, less afraid that if the phone rings its another debt collector. I think thats what the American people want. a sense of stability.

This bill doesn't seem to offer that.

I say "seem" because I am not sure. Sen. Lankford of Oklahoma claims that passing tax and healthcare bills are like walking and chewing gum. I disagree. I think this is a complicated matter.  I say it's complicated because the experts we have here to testify don't have all the information regarding the details of the ramifications of this bill on the American People. This is Worrying.

My colleagues are in a rush. Too much of a rush to study the effects of the plan. Too much of a rush to have open and honest discussions on the merits and weaknesses of the bill. Too much in a rush to seek advice and input from those who see the world through a different lens. Too many simply say, "pass anything, we'll fix it later."

This is a rushed bill. I believe we owe it to the American people to be wise in our decision making, and I would submit, Mr. Speaker, that making a 1500 billion dollar decision (1.5 trillion) when you're rushed is not wise.

I urge this body to be wise and understand the full impact and implications of this bill, especially as it seems to do much harm to those who need the most help.

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.


 I yield back the remainder of my time.

Comments

Popular Posts